Vegan Matcha Scones
Vegan Matcha Scones
A great morning or afternoon delight! A healthy and absolutely delicious version of a worldwide favourite. Pair with a delicious homemade jam or even a nut butter of your choice.
Makes 8 scones
- 113 g (~ 8 tbsp) refined coconut oil, scooped in tbsp-sized portions and frozen
- 150 ml soy or other dairy free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 180g (~ 1 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour
- 80g (2/3 cup) whole wheat flour
- 70g (1/3 cup) sugar (we used white xylose sugar to keep scones bright green)
- 8g Nekohama matcha
- 10g (2 1/2 tsp) baking powder
- 2 g (1/4 tsp) salt
- 2 tbsp dairy free milk
- 1 tbsp honey
1. Scoop coconut oil onto a plate or tray and put in a freezer for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 C (400 F).
3. In a large bowl, add dry ingredients and whisk together. Add frozen chunks of coconut oil and cut using a pastry cutter or a knife until broken down into small, pea-sized chunks. (This step can be done using food processor).
4. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix with a spoon or spatula until a dough ball forms. It might feel like it's not coming together, but resist the urge to add more liquid.
5. Transfer the dough to a working surface lightly dusted with flour and shape into a rough rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half, place one part atop of the other and press down forming a rectangle again. Repeat the step 2-3 times. If coconut oil starts to melt, place the dough in a freezer for 15-20 mins before proceeding.
6. After the dough has chilled, roll into a rectangle about 1.2 inch (3 cm) thickness. Trim the edges (optional) and cut into 8 equal sized squares. Transfer to a baking tray and put in a fridge for 20-30 mins to chill.
7. To make the glaze: mix milk and honey. When the scones has chilled and ready to bake, lightly brush with the mixture and bake for 15-17 mins.
8. Let the scones cool for 15-20 mins and serve.
If choosing to trim the dough, don't throw the discards. Form a rough ball and bake as a scone, It won't be as pretty, but it sure will be delicious.